Originating in the 1990s, the program annually provides awards scholarships to students residing in Alameda and Contra Costa counties who:
- have a grade point average of 3.5 or above;
- are involved in co-curricular and community activities;
- demonstrate good character and conduct;
- submit an essay describing experiences, person(s) of influence in their life, and long-and short-term goals;
- plan to enter a four-year college or university.
The Celebration of Excellence ceremony is held annually in April.